Friday, April 4, 2014

Beryl Markham --- West with the Night - page123

"The trail ran north to Molo; at night it ran straight to the stars. It ran up the side of the Mau Escarpment until at ten thousand feet it found the edge of the plateau and rested there, and some of the stars burned beneath its edge. In the morning the plateau was higher than the sun. Even the day climbed the trail to Molo.  I climbed it with all that I owned.

"I had two saddlebags, and Pegasus ( the name of her horse). The saddlebag held the pony's rug, his brush, a blacksmith's knife, six pounds of crushed oats, and a thermometer as a precaution against Horse Sickness.  For me the bags held pajamas, slacks, a shirt, toothbrush, and a comb. I NEVER OWNED LESS, NOR CAN I BE SURE THAT I EVER NEEDED MORE."  (my emphasis)

How to travel so light and need so little, today!  

 

 

No comments: