Monday, April 2, 2012

One year later...where does the time go ???

Due to an email from my son Stephen I'm back in the "blog world" hoping that this new entrance will be more consistent and even more meaningful. Steve thinks my 83 years will offer something worth reading --- I hope that also.

This past years several close friends have died and I have reflected on their impact on my life. Wes Trucker, John Gilman, Gene Herr, to name just three.

Wes - years of faithful service first, as a member of the Salvation Army, later as a pastor, a member of FEMA, and in the end a pastor to pastors. A journey of a trip to India in 1952, starting out with a borrowed $25.00. A a journal really worth reading.

John Gilman, a classmate at Willamette, class of 1958. John joined the AFROTC at Willamette and later became and Air Force office, a TWA Airline Pilot and later a lay pastor. John with Kent Hotaling and others became authors of ourstanding articles on living with and for Jesus. John and Jeanah served Jesus really well and with GREAT humor.

Gene Herr and Mary, led me into the world of Mennonite Youth, into the larger Menonite world, and then as part of the board of The Hermitage in Three Rivers, Michigan. Gene and Mary became "spiitual directors" for may pastors who came to The Hermitage. That ministry continues even today with the new directors. Gene intoduced me to the writings of several authors Robert Johnson, Morton Kelsey, recommending several books which influence my thinking even to this day. From Johnson - HE - SHE - WE - and CLAIMING YOUR OWN SHADOW to name just a few titles. From Kelsey - THE REALITY OF THE SPIRITUAL WORLD - THE OTHER SIDE OF SILENCE - CARING - GOD, DREAMS, AND REVELATION -- each of these books have opened doors into my own life and world. Lately the book WE by Robert Johnson has helped me to move even further out of the destructive influences of my early childhood.

There is nothing like moving on, even when reaches the age of 83. One admonition, don't wait until you are 83 !!!

No comments: