Monday, April 4, 2011

Gospel for Teens - from CBS 60 Minutes 4/3/11

Last evening I happened upon 60 Minutes and found a story that caused my heart to break as well as to "sing"! A lady named Vi was the featured person in the story as she has worked with teens in Brooklyn, New York. Lesley Stahl of CBS spent a year working on this story. I recommend that you bring it up on your computer for the whole, beautiful story - ultimately. CBS/60 Minutes/Gospel for Teens.

There were so many statements, so many kids, so many insights that caused me to compare Vi to one of the Apostle Paul's friends - Onesiphorus. (Am I stuck on this guy, or what - II Timothy 1:16 -18 or what?)

For the 40 some kids who auditioned to sing Vi selected some and could not tell you why. She just felt that they belonged in the group. From the first the kids were told to leave their "baggage" outside and just learn to sing. Singing became the vehicle for bonding, for company, for self respect and eventually for openness.

When asked to introduce themselves many of the kids were either too timid or too ashamed even to share their name. In time there was trust and one day Vi asked them to bring their "baggage" inside. Kid after kid shared of someone really close who had either been shot or stabbed or some other horrible thing had happened to them. Vi asked them to "sing it all out". One young lady said, "I build up all of my pain so that I can sing it all out. You believed in me." (Gabby) (Onesiphorous - you often helped me catch my breath) About Gabby Vi said, "If I had only looked at the surface I would not have invited her."

Another young lady, Rhonda, wrote a song about her life. She lives with a Grandmother in a special apartment building set aside for women to raise these young people. Two of those ladies spoke of how they are able to help but also about how they can not replace a father. Rhonda's song was about her Dad who came and never came back. "DADDY, DADDY, DADDY WHERE WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU THE MOST?" This from a 15 year old in Brooklyn whose dad came and took her to a movie and gave her $20.00 and promised to come back, and never did.

David Moses, another 15 year old whose father has stayed with his family because his father had modeled what it meant to stay with the family, even in the "projects" and how he has now stayed with family. David, "my cousin was shot to death - "Sing it all out!" and sing David did! Vi, "Struggles - what do you do - you have to go someplace where there is sacred ground." "Singing was allowed during slavery, so I want these kids to know that Gospel singing could be "sacred ground". "The right to sing was allowed."

Another young lady was asked by Leslie Sthal, "What's on the inside?" The answer, "JOY"

David and Tiffany Oli (on the spot at the spring concert ) were asked to sing the theme song of the group "HOW CAN I TELL YOU". Tiffany (14)later sang a solo, "Jesus love me".

At the Spring Concert the kids were asked to share their name - each one shouted out "My name is....from Brooklyn, N.Y.!"

Vi (Onesiphorous) you often refreshed me - helped me catch my breath. You were not ashamed of my chains (Oh the chains these kids carry). You sought me out and you found me (Oh that all the kids in our towns and cities could find a Vi). You served me --- "you believed in me when no one else believed in me!" (Gabby) Her Mom and Dad did not come to the concert

This blog is an attempt to let you know about another person who gives herself to others - to let them "sing it all out". In time, to let them bring their "baggage" inside. A place where trust has been won and where it is safe to "sing it all out".

I hope you too will find "sacred ground" for singing.

Bill

No comments: